Monday, January 20, 2014

new beginnings

2013.

The year started out innocently enough, but turned out to be the most difficult year of my life thus far.  I still feel like I'm drudging my way out of a muddy pit in the rain, but I can see a glimpse of clear skies on the horizon.  Thanks to a few key people in my life, I've decided to start blogging again.

I hope and pray that my journey will help anyone who may read the pieces of it that are written here.  


Last year, I lost my Poppy, great-Grandma Lil, and my dog, Molly, in the short span of three months.  Poppy is one of the best men I've ever known, and if I'm honest, my favorite grandparent.  Don't get me wrong - I love all four - but Poppy was a special kind of person that you only get to know once in a lifetime.  I still feel a gap in my life and heart where he fits perfectly.  I'm sure I always will {until I get to join him with Jesus}.  Grandma Lil was mentally lost due to dementia years before we physically lost her, but to see someone you love slowly dying is something I would never wish upon anyone.  We knew Molly was going to leave us at some point last year as she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in January.  She outlived the vet's expectations for her by three months.  She was the sweetest dog that ever lived, and I think she knew we were going to need her around for those extra weeks.

Grief piles up.  It isn't easy.  It resurrects demons that you thought were gone forever, and doesn't apologize.  In the coming weeks, I'm going to share more of my story, but for now I'll leave you with a quote a friend of mine shared the other day:

"Grief never ends, but it changes.  It's a passage, not a place to stay.  Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith . . . it is the price of love."
-Unknown



No comments: